Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Netherlands, Noord Holland, Hilversum, Insulindelaan
Number of texts: 1
The school was built in 1929 in an expressionist style. At the opening of School 7, as the school was then called, everyone was enthusiastic about the building. Shortly after the war, a large number of students was the norm. It happened that there were sometimes classes with more than 50 students.
During the war, the school building was occupied by the Germans. The students got their lessons in the buildings of the Snellius School. Many Jewish children attended School 7. In the annual report of 1941, it’s notable to read that 17 boys and 19 girls were removed. In 1942, only 17 students were registered. That was because the Jewish children were no longer welcome. It became increasingly difficult to give lessons. Conditions were increasingly poor. Children had no shoes or clothes. There was no more paper. Instead, use was made of the long ignored but fortunately stored slates.
After the war, the school was renamed as the Multatuli School. In 1996, the school was restored. What’s noticeable about the building are the colors: the orange color of the steel windows and doors; blue tiles between the windows on the ground floor. On the back, there are large windows. The tall chimney of red brick breaks the horizontal line. Below the flat white roof is the entrance. The children enter via an entrance hall. This gave the children a feeling of safety, according to the architect Dudok. The Multatuli School is now called the ‘Wegwijzer’ or ‘Signpost’, and is a school based on Christian principles.