Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Netherlands, Limburg, Nuth
Number of texts: 1
The transhipment station at the eastside of the railyard next to N.S. station Nuth entered service around 1910. It was used to load coal from the mines’ trains on the mines’ own track to the trains on the N.S. track.
In 1934 the Juliana Channel was ready, and at 16 September 1935 the channel was opened. As a result more and more coal were transported directly to the Stein harbour. These coal were transported from the state’s mines Hendrik and Emma via the mines’ private railway track which was finished in 1930. The track went from Brunssum (Mine Hendrik) via Hoensbroek (Mine Emma) via Nuth to Schinnen (at a later point in time the shaft at Schinnen was connected to it as well) and from there it went to the state’s mine Maurits in Geleen. From that mine the track eventually led to Stein.
Because of the direct connection the station at Nuth hardly was used anymore, and most of its railway crew subsequently left Nuth.
After the mines’ closure the emplacement has been used to load sugar beets. Almost all sugar beets from Limburg were loaded at this location.