Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United States, Albany
Number of texts: 1
Fort Orange (Dutch: Fort Oranje) was the first permanent Dutch settlement in New Netherland and was on the site of the present-day city of Albany, New York. Built in 1624 as a replacement for Fort Nassau, which had been built on nearby Castle Island, which served as a trading post until 1617 or 1618, when it was abandoned due to frequent flooding. Both forts were named in honor of the Dutch House of Orange-Nassau. Due to a dispute between the Director-General of New Netherland and the patroonship of Rensselaerswyck regarding jurisdiction over the fort and the surrounding community, the fort and community became an independent municipality, paving the way for the future city of Albany. After conquest by the English, Fort Orange (renamed Fort Albany) was soon abandoned in favor of a new fort- Fort Frederick, constructed in 1676.