Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United States, Lancaster
Number of texts: 1
Lancaster Theological Seminary, a seminary of the United Church of Christ in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, was founded in 1825 by members of the German Reformed Church in the United States to provide theological education for prospective clergy and other church leaders. After a failed attempt to open the school in Frederick, MD and another in Harrisburg, PA, the school opened in Carlisle, Pennsylvania on the campus of Dickinson College on March 11, 1825 with a class of five students. Later lectures were held in the “old Reformed Church of Carlisle.” At this time the seminary struggled financially and due to the fund raising campaign of James Ross Reily (1788–1884) the seminary was able to relocate to York in 1829. Here attendance averaged between 12-25 students.