Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United States, Erie
Number of texts: 1
Modern Tool Company, also known as the People’s Market House, is a historic building located at Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. It is a large eclectic “U”-shaped, brick building built in stages between 1895 and 1928. The building measures 218 feet by 330 feet. The earliest section was built in 1895, as the People’s Market House. It is 3 1/2-stories and has a large central pavilion with flanking two-story wings and a gable roof. The State Street side was built in five sections between 1916 and 1924. The northern block was added about 1928. It features Palladian windows and a corner turret. The original building housed a public market until 1902, after which it was leased to the Modern Tool Company, a machine tool manufacturer.