Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United States, Allegheny
Number of texts: 1
The New Granada Theater at 2007 Centre Avenue in the Hill District neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, was built in 1927 and 1928. This Art Deco theater was designed by architect Louis A. S. Bellinger, and originally was a Pythian Temple, a meeting place for the Knights of Pythias (a fraternal order and secret society). In this case, it was a lodge for a group of African American construction workers known as the Knights of the Pythian. In the 1930s, the building was sold to Harry Hendel, who moved two blocks from his old Granada Theater to this New Granada Theater. The building was remodeled in 1937 and 1938 by Alfred M. Marks, and it became a movie theater as well as a place for live entertainment, music and dancing. Jazz legends such as Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Count Basie and Cab Calloway performed at this location.