|Need a hotel nearby?|
Route des Vins d'Alsace
This route on your website
The village belonged to the " Landsberg " who build there their castle in 13th century.
This one was destroyed by the Swedes in 17th century.
The village had from immemorial time a wine vocation.
The devil would have destroyed its castle in 1295.
The castle was captured by the " Armagnac " in 1444.
During the religious wars, in 1592 the castle was dismantled and Barr partially burned-out.
In 1678, the troops of Louis XIV totally destroyed the city.
In 1944, Barr suffered from the very violent fightings between the Germans and the American forces.
" Cunon of Bergheim " made build Crax's castle towards 1274.
This same castle is destroyed between 1293 and 1295 by " Conrad of Lichtenberg ", thereafter bishop of Strasbourg.
Stones resulting from the destruction served later for strengthening the city of Lichtenau, in Baden (Germany).
Directly dependent from the Holy See, it was granted considerable privileges.
The abbess was also princess of the " Holy Empire ".
The city formed around the abbey, was given in stronghold by the abbess to a powerful family of Alsace, the " Andlau ", who built there a castle.
Later, the " Andlau " inherited from Spesbourg's castle.
The future Louis XI besieged the city in 1444, then still during the Thirty years' War which led to the destruction of Bernstein's castle, chief town of an important episcopal bailiwick.
" Rodolphe of Habsbourg " built the Ortenbourg's castle, in the 13th century, then it was ruined, but reconstructed in 14th century.
It served as base to Lords bandits and is taken in 1470 by Charles the Bold.
During the Peasants'War, on May 20th, 1525, the victorious mercenary troops of the duke of Lorraine plundered the city and massacred about 25 000 Alsatian peasants
This Celtic and Gallo-Roman agglomeration is located on the Roman way skirting the Vosges on its Eastern face.
Fortified town belonging to the bishops of Strasbourg, it was occupied by the Middle-class of Sélestat in the 13th century, then during the 15th century by the " Armagnac ".
+33 388 92.15.02
The " Rathsamhausen " acquired the seigneury as of the 13th century, then as of the 14th century the town of Sélestat became its owner until 1789.
The castle, destroyed a first time by the troops of the bishop of Strasbourg during the war opposing " Adolphe of Nassau " to " Albert of Habsbourg " in 1298, was sold to the town of Sélestat in 1492.
The fate seemed to go fiercely at this castle which was destroyed again by the Swedish troops in 1632.
Initially ownership of " Hohenstaufen ", then successively of the Dukes of Lorraine, of the Counts of " Werde ", landgraves of lower Alsace.
The castle is enfeoffed to powerful Alsatian families.
In the 15th century Lords - bandits made it their haunt , that led it to be destroyed by a league of cities and Lords.
Being hardly reconstructed in the end of the 15th century, the Swedes brought it to a state of ruins in 1633, during the Thirty Years' War.
The city of Sélestat offered it to the German emperor Friedrich Wilhelm II, who ordered the complete restoration of it. From 1901 till 1908 this was achieved under the lead of architect Ebhard.
" Fulrado vilare " or " farm of Fulrade "" of Saint-Denis is quoted for the first time in 774.
It is only when Fulrade, abbot of Saint Denis deposited there relics of " Saint Hippolyte " that the village took its current name at the end of the 8th century.
Saint Hippolyte passed to the Dukes of Lorraine in the 13th century, and was fortified before 1316.
It was then that the village was provided with the title of city.
It remained an enclace of Lorraine of the ground of Alsace until the Revolution
The village is at this time already quoted in the list of the wine villages of Alsace.
Rodern is quoted towards 1200 under the name of
" Rodere " or " clearing ".
Rodern belonged to the Lords of " Rappolstein " who sold it to the " Habsbourg " in 1313.
An anthracite mine was exploited there from 1772 till 1850.
Two large jars of the Late Bronze era were found there in 1969 (currently visible at the " Unterlinden's Museum " of Colmar).
" Chrodoldeswillare " or " farm of Chrodold " in the beginning a Germanic first name, listed in 742, following a transfer of property carried out by " Rantwig ", a noble monk and son of " Chrotwig ".
Successively " Radaldivillare " in 1114, " Roleswilre in 1183, " Rorswilre " in 1268, "
Rorswilr " in 1328, " Rorschweyr " in 1415, " Rorszwiler " in 1485, " Rorschwyr " in 1547, " Rorschweir " in 1870, " Rorschwihr " in 1919, " Rorschweir " in 1939, and finally " Rorschwihr " in 1945. The village belonged later to the " Rappoltstein " Lords of Ribeauvillé, who sold it to the " Habsbourg " in 1313.
The yard " colongère", with rights of asylum, called " Meyerhof " or " Master's house " belonged to the Vosgean abbey of Moyenmoutier.
The " colonge " was a particular rural organisation specific to Alsace and some Rhinish countries during the Middle Age.
This property began in the 12th century to end with the Revolution.
Traces of Roman housing still remain on the site of the city, and more to the east.
Being quoted towards 705 as " Bercheim " phonetic contraction of " Berg ", mountain, and of " Heim ", home.
The village changed ownership thirty-two times during the Middle Age, its principal owner being the " Ribeaupierre " in addition lords of Ribeauvillé, and the House of Austria.
The strengthened city as early as 1311 benefits then on from the rights of asylum.
In 1848, anti Semite Riots were generated by the presence of a significant Jewish community living in the city.
The village was miraculously spared by both World Wars.
This same name gave in modern German " Rappoltsweiler ", in Alsatian dialect " Rappschwihr " and in French " Ribeauvillé ".
The borough belonged to the lords of " Rappoltstein " or " Ribeaupierre " who, since the 11th century resided at the castle of " Rappoltstein ", renamed later " Saint-Ulrich ", name of the owner of the castle vault.
The " Rappoltstein " built during the 13th century the castles of " Hohrappoltstein " or "
Haut-Ribeaupierre " and of " Girsberg ". They decided also to fortify the city towards 1287.
Enlarged several times to face its expansion, the urban enclosure formed as from the 14th century four autonomous and contiguous districts, communicating between them by fortified gateways.
Two districts of the upper city and those of the lower city often belonging to two different branches of the family, each one their own castle in their part of the city.
In 1525, the " Rappolstein " severely punished the inhabitants' participation in the Peasants' War.
The " Rappoltstein " died out into 1673, not without having tried in 1563 to introduce the Reform, without much success.
Their heirs, a branch of Palatines' Count, recognized French sovereignty, but kept the seigniory until 1801. A this time, the last among them, " Maximilian of Palatinat Deux Ponts ", was named King of Bavaria by Napoleon.
The " Rappoltstein " and their successors were " Kings of the street musicians ", i.e. they had in stronghold of Empire the protection and the jurisdiction of all the itinerant street musicians and wandering entertainers of Alsace.
The street musicians' brotherhood met each year in Ribeauvillé on September 8th .
After a pilgrimage at " Our Lady of Dusenbach ", local site of pilgrimage, within the sound of the instruments, the " Rappoltstein " judged the disputes between the street musicians.
Nowadays, the " Pfifferdaj " or " Street musicians' day " is celebrated again with great splendour.
The seigniory of " Horbourg ", then the duchy of " Würtemberg " were respectively owners of the village.
The pilgrimage dedicated to Sainte-Hune attracted many believers from 1520 until the Reform (1534).
At the beginning of 17th century, an plague epidemic gradually emptied the village of its inhabitants.
Then, from 1687, with the arrival of some new catholic families, the " Simultaneum " was introduced (alternation of the worships within a same religious building).
During the 11th century it belonged, as part of it, to the property of the Counts of Eguisheim.
Chief town in the 12th century of a seigniory belonging to the Lords of " Horbourg ", who fortified it in 1291 and conferred the status of town on it in 1320. In 1324, the " Horbourg " sold all their possessions to the Counts of " Wurtemberg " and died out little afterwards.
Riquewihr remained in the hands of the Counts, then Dukes of " Wurtemberg " until 1793. Their armorial bearings are omnipresent in the city.
In 1525, the inhabitants tired of undergoing the tyrannical treament which was inflicted to them by the Dukes, took part in the Peasants' War.
The Calvinism was introduced in 1534, and the Lutheranism little after in 1559.
The 16th century and the beginning of the 17th century marked the apogee of the city, enriched by the sale of its famous wines.
The Thirty Year's War set an end to this prosperity.
Riquewihr made new great strides in the 18th century after joining France in 1793.
Since the 20th century, Riquewihr knows a deserved tourist success and is currently one of the most visited places France, pearl of Alsace and the vineyard, is surely one of the most beautiful villages of France.
One rushes up from the whole world to discover its treasures.
It is indeed to a " cell " or small monastic establishment, precisely " Luxeuil's one " that Zellenberg owes its existence.
The old village was located at the foot of the hill.
In 1252, the " Horbourg " built a castle at the southern end of the hill dominating the village.
The agglomeration moved closer to the castle, to be fortified.
Becoming a city, the old village was gradually abandoned.
The castle was destroyed at the end of the 18th century.
Introduced into 1535, the Reformation clearly modified the aspect of the borough. There is still an old leper-house left.
Christian Oberlin's home town, who founded the wine institute of Colmar, and Christian Pfister's homeland, the historian, member of the Institute (1857-1933).
The vine growing since was always the principal activity of the village.
Murbach and other abbeys possessed vineyards there.
The counts of " Wurtemberg - Montbeliard " were the owners from the 14th century till the
However the village depended on the seigniory of Riquewihr.
It knew dark moments during the severe fightings of the " Poche de Colmar " and was almost entirely destroyed in 1945. It has been rebuilt since.
The village belonged to the lords of " Horbourg " until their extinction into 1332, then to the bishop of Strasbourg who in 1437 passed it to the lords of " Rappoltstein ".
During the battle of the " pocket of Colmar " the village was entirely destroyed in 1944.
As of the Carolingian time many abbeys, attracted by the reputation of its wines managed to obtain donations there.
This explains why as of the 9th century Sigolsheim had already three chapels of which the most important one, founded by " Sainte Richarde ", emperor " Charles the Fat's wife ", became thereafter the parochial church of the village.
It is in the " Lügenfeld " or " field of the lies " close to Sigolsheim, that the three sons of " Louis the Devout " after having hired away his army in 833, captured their father and then forced him to abdicate.
In 1466 the palatine troops took the fortified cemetery by storm .
Sigolsheim was completely destroyed during the relentless combats of the " Poche of Colrnar ' during the winter 1944 -1945.
Various seigniories shared it during the Middle Age, most of the time it depended on the seigniory of " Hohlandsberg " which belonged to the " Habsbourg ".
The village was pawned to the Count of " Lupfen " in the 15th century.
This one established himself there, had the castle built, surrounded the village with ramparts towards 1430 and conferred to it the privileges of a city in 1460.
During the 16th century, the village became the property of " Lazarus von Schwendi ", general of the emperor during the war against the French and the Turks.
It was this same " Lazarus von Schwendi " who either introduced on his lands a new type of vine called Tokay (says a strong legend), or brought back of his tour some wine of Tokay.
After the Thirty Year's War, Kientzheim, fell down to the level of a village.
Kientzheim was also heavily damaged during the battle of the " Poche of Colmar " ( pocket of German resistance ) during the winter 1944 - 1945.
This priory was transformed into a convent of Clarisses in 1282.
The emperor Frederic II had a castle built at a strategic point : both on a throttling of the valley
and on a hill dominating the road towards
Lorraine, on the western side of the Vosges mountains.
" Keisersperg " or " Mount of the Emperor ", is quoted in 1227 and owes its existence to the castle.
Indeed, this castle quickly gave rise to an agglomeration. It was fortified as of the 13th century and in 1293 was endowed with the same privileges as Colmar.
Kaysersberg was part of the " Decapolis " from 1354 until 1648.
The population took part in the Peasants' War of 1525.
Annexed by France with the other imperial possessions in Alsace.
Fatherland of the world known Doctor Albert Schweitzer.
Dependence of the castle of " Wineck ", it belonged successively to the counts of
" Ferrette ", then to the " Habsbourg " family, in stronghold of the bishops of Strasbourg, then of Basle.
Until the Revolution Katzenthal was part of the borough of Ingersheim.
During the battle of the " Pocket of Colmar " over the winter 1944 -1945, the village was 90% destroyed .
Located on the three banns of Ammerschwihr, Niedermorschwihr and Turckheim are the " Trois-Epis ", quiet resort sheltering a health centre of altitude and rest cure.
The " Trois Epis " were founded from a pilgrimage dedicated to the Virgin, founded 1491: indeed, the Virgin is said to have appeared to a blacksmith of Orbey, holding in a hand three ears of corn, in the other one a hailstone (forecast of good or a bad harvest depending on whether people would convert or not).
The pilgrimage started again quickly, after being stopped by the Thirty Year's War.
A priory founded in 1651 was done away by the French Revolution.
The pilgrimage however still exists.
Roman finds were made : a statue of Mercury, coins, remains of walls, pipeworks on the sites known as " Gemür ", "Hausenfeld ", " Thalweg ". Merovingian burials were also discovered there.
The village belonged to the Munster Benedictines' abbey during the Middle Age.
In 1312, promoted to the status of city, Turckheim was fortified.
The city adhered in 1354 to the " Decapolis".
The significant prerogatives that the abbot of Munster kept to the city were at the origin of frequent conflicts with him.
The situation was all the more confused since half of Turckheim belonged to the seigniory of " Hohlandsberg ", in fact to the " Habsbourg ", then in the 15th century being given as security to the Count of " Lupfen ".
In 1465, he invades the city by surprise, at night, following a conflict relating to the belonging of the immigrants.
This conflict ended definitively only in 1485.
After 1672, the King of France stripped Turckheim of his autonomy.
In 1675, after the " Turenne's victory " over the Imperial troops, Turenne allowed his troops to plunder and to set fire to the city because its burgomaster had helped the Imperial troops.
In 1978 the church Sainte Anne was almost destroyed by a fire.
Nearby, the locality of " Trois-Epis ", with its church of pilgrimage, is on the three banns of Turckheim, Labaroche and Ammerschwihr.
The Christmas feast is quoted in 1597, that of Saint Jean in 1540.
The village, although fortified prior to 1275, never obtained the privileges of a city. This village of vine growers belonged to the Empire and partly to the " Habsbourg ", through its membership to the seigneury of " Hohlandsberg ".
The " Hospitallers " of Colmar (Knights of Malta) had a vault there, and later owned the castle of " Thurnburg ", today's Town Hall, which enjoyed the right of asylum.
In Saint Gilles, West of Wintzenheim, the Swiss abbey of Payerne had a court " colongère " which was transformed into a priory at the 14th century." Pflixbourg's Castle " built by the emperor at the beginning of the 13th century, used as residence to an imperial baillif, was probably destroyed at the 15th century.
The castle of " Hohlandsberg " was built in 1279 by " Rodolphe of Habsbourg ". It wasthe centre of a wide seigniory which the " Habsbourg " from the 14th century, successively pawned to the " Rappoltstein " in 1363, to the counts of " Lupfen " in 1415, to " Lazarus von Schwendi " in 1568
The vineyard was the property of many abbeys.
The vestiges of the ditch in the western part of the village show that it was fortified.
An old leper-house.
Destruction of the centre of the village in 1944 at the time of the combat of the " Poche de Colmar ".
Ingersheim is gradually being integrated into the agglomeration of Colmar.
Colmar, quoted for the first time in 823 under the name of " Columbarium " or " Dovecote ", was the centre of a vast royal domain, which was in the 10th century half of which was offered to the bishopric of " Constance ", and half to the abbey of Payerne (Switzerland).
The courtyards of " Payerne's Oberhof " and the " Constance's Niederhof " were the cores of the future city.
Fortified in the beginning of the13th century, it became an imperial town.
The constitution, fixed into 1360 after hard internal fights, gave the main part of the power to the professional corporations.
Colmar was one of the principal cities of the " Décapole " at the end of the Middle
Age, with its prosperous business of wines, an important artistic bloom, illustrated in particular by Martin Schongauer, painter and engraver.
In the 16th century, the Reform did not manage to definitively supplant Catholicism.
Annexed to France, in 1679, Colmar becomes the headquarter of the Sovereign Council of Alsace, the highest judicial authority of the province.
Chief town of the department of Haut-Rhin in 1791.
Between 1871 and 1918, under the German occupation, the city distinguished itself by a particularly marked francomania, whose satirical draughtsman Jean-Jacques Waltz, called " Hansi ", is the expression thereof.