The castle

Architectural location

BE |

Public | DutchFrenchGerman

Source: Wizpr.guide

Copyright: All rights reserved

Situated on a rocky ridge above the river Semois, the château is actually on two sites. On one rocky spur there was a typical castle mound.
In 1082, a second dungeon was built by Godefroid de Bouillon, who sold the estate to the bishop of Liège before leaving for the Crusades.
The chateau was subsequently altered, particularly by Vauban during the period of French occupation; projecting fortifications, barracks, arsenal and a powder magazine were added.
The dungeon was demolished in 1824, during the period of Dutch rule, to make way for further barracks, but the military site was decommissioned in 1853.
It rapidly became a very popular tourist location.
Monument and site listed (26-05-1975)
Listed as an exceptional heritage site of Wallonia
 

Copyright: All rights reserved

More information

Address

Belgium

Sponsored links

More about this place of interest

Routes nearby

Related channels

Sponsored links

© 2006-2017 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com