The Namur Gate was one of the gates of the second walls of Brussels. It used to be called the New Gate of Coudenberg, to distinguish it from the old gate located in the first walls, and it used to connect the rue Entre deux Portes to chemin d'Ixelles . The twenty-first century 'Porte de Namur' denotes rather the Ixelles district of that name, than the disappeared building.
During the construction of the boulevards of the small ring, two neoclassical former pavilions of octroi were raised there by the architect Auguste Payen in 1836. The octroi was abolished in 1860, the buildings were moved to the entrance of Bois de la Cambre three years later. Removing barriers then permitted Namur area to develop.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
Flamsk Brabant, Belgium
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com