People would have liked to have a cemetery around the church next to the old castle 't Blauwhuis .
Baron Conrad van der Bruggen objected to this because he would always have a view of the cemetery. He proposed to revert the cemetery and the government erected the first cemetery cross in 1897, now located across the road from the present cemetery.
Finally , Baron van der Bruggen gave a piece of land to the church a little further away , again there was opposition. But Pastor Canepeel had the cemetery consecrated and the parishioners were buried there. The first burial was that of Maria Ludovica Deneweth, sister of the Order Maidens of Mary. In 1905 the cemetery and the road leading to it were given to the church factory and in 1906 Baron Maurits van der Bruggen granted permission to use the "De Varens" lane for the funeral procession.
Source: Willem Vandenameele
More about this place of interest
This place of interest on your website
<iframe src="https://plugin.routeyou.com/poiviewer/free/?language=en&params.poi.id=8428962" width="100%" height="600" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Try this feature for free with a RouteYou Plus trial subscription.