Places of Interest nearby
Number of texts: 2
The Lustgarten is a park on Museum Island near the site of the former Berliner Stadtschloss (Berlin City Palace) of which it was originally a part. It is a place where a lot of people gathered during historical events. During the years of the Weimar Republic, the Lustgarten was frequently used for political demonstrations. The Socialists and Communists held frequent rallies there. In August 1921, 500,000 people demonstrated against right-wing extremist violence. After the murder of Foreign Minister Walther Rathenau in June 1922, 250,000 protested in the Lustgarten. In February, 1933, 200,000 people demonstrated against the new Nazi Party regime of Adolf Hitler: shortly afterwards public opposition to the regime was banned. Under the Nazis, the Lustgarten was converted into a site for mass rallies. In 1934, it was paved over and the equestrian statue removed. Hitler addressed mass rallies of up to a million people there.
The pleasure garden with granite shell, left behind the former Palace of the Republic, right, the former GDR State Council building, 2004