The Abbey of St. Martin, Laon, established in 1124 in Laon in the modern department of Aisne in northern France, was one of the earliest foundations of the Premonstratensian Order. Along with Cuissy Abbey and Floreffe Abbey it counted as one of the primarii inter pares, or senior houses, of the order.
The Premonstratensian community was founded by Barthélemy of Jur, bishop of Laon, in co-operation with Saint Norbert of Xanten, who settled it with twelve canons from Prémontré Abbey. It took over the site of an earlier college of canons regular, established in the Carolingian period, which had fallen into decay.
Copyright: CC 3.0