St Martin-in-the-Fields is an English Anglican church at the north-east corner of Trafalgar Square in the City of Westminster, London. It is dedicated to Saint Martin of Tours. There has been a church on the site since the medieval period. The present building was constructed in a Neoclassical design by James Gibbs in 1722–1726.
Excavations at the site in 2006 led to the discovery of a grave from about 410 AD. The site is outside the city limits of Roman London but is particularly interesting for being so far outside, and this is leading to a reappraisal of Westminster's importance at that time. The burial is thought by some to mark a Christian centre of that time .
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
Westminster, Westminster, United Kingdom
© 2006-2019 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com