Copyright: Creative Commons 4.0
The Cathedral of the Assumption is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin located in Carlow town. The cathedral was dedicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in 1833. It is known for its beautifully detailed 151 ft spire which is one of the highest points in the town.
Architect Thomas Cobden, designer of much of the adjacent college, designed the cathedral. it was the second Catholic cathedral built in Ireland after Catholic Emancipation, after the Catholic Cathedral in Waterford. The tower and lantern was inspired by the Belfry of Bruges, Belgium, building commenced on the cathedral 7 April 1828.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
© 2006-2020 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com