This mine was used for copper, uranium, silver and vanadium. In 1893, Don Hogan found copper 1500 feet below this point. But the high cost and the lack of ore foced the Orphan Mine to close. In 1951, geologists discovered uranium in teh mine. It became the riches source of uranium in Amrica in the 1950s. Very useful in the cold-war era when atomic bombs had to be produced. In 1988, the National Park Service gained ownership of the mine and the mine got closed. Today, there are still warning signs not to enter this area.