Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Lancaster
Number of texts: 1
Lancaster Cathedral, also known as The Cathedral Church of St Peter and Saint Peter’s Cathedral, is located in St Peter’s Road, Lancaster, Lancashire, England. It was a Roman Catholic parish church until 1924, when it was elevated to the status of a cathedral. It started as a mission church in 1798, and the present church was built on a different site in 1857–59. It was designed by E. G. Paley in the Gothic Revival style. In 1901 a baptistry was added by Austin and Paley, and the east end was reordered in 1995 by Francis Roberts. The cathedral is in active use, arranging services, concerts and other events, and is open to visitors. The building is designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building.