Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Rotherham
Number of texts: 2
Anston was already established as a settlement by the time of the Domesday Book (1086), when North and South Anston (Anestan and Litelanstan) were under the ownership of Roger de Busli. The name Anston is thought to derive from “an stan” (a stone) as opposed to anything based on the suffix -ton, and there is much evidence of quarrying in the area. Anston, and neighbouring Dinnington make up a 2.2-mile (3.5 km) strip of urban development stranded amidst a sea of agricultural land, and its presence and growth owe much to quarrying. The original interest for the area (beyond Anston’s agricultural uses) was the sandy “Anstone” magnesian limestone, but the real growth in Anston’s population was more due to the sinking of the Dinnington Main Colliery in the early 20th century. Anston is Part of Rotherham Borough Council for the Anston and Woodsetts Ward. It is represented by the three Labour Councillors, Darren J L Hughes, Judy Dalton and Jo Burton.
South Anston is located at about 53°21′50″N 1°13′20″W, and is separated from North Anston by the Anston Brook, the A57 road and a freight railway-line. It is more rural than its northern partner. South Anston contains the parish church of St. James, and two Methodist chapels (dating from 1871 and 1935). It also contains Anston’s working quarries which continue to mine stone for the building industry. Its location is ideal as its is rural enough for enjoy a range walks from the village yet near enough to Sheffield to enjoy a welath of infractsure and transport links. There are two pubs in South Anston: the Loyal Trooper and the Leeds Arms.