Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, South Bucks
Number of texts: 2
Wilton Park is a cricket ground in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire. The first recorded match on the ground was in 1942, when Beaconsfield played Captain Alan Parker’s XII. The first Minor Counties Championship match played on the ground came when Buckinghamshire played Norfolk in 1967. From 1967 to 1975 and 1989 to 2005 the ground has hosted 26 Minor Counties Championship matches, the last of which saw Buckinghamshire play Staffordshire. The ground has also held four MCCA Knockout Trophy matches, the last of which saw Buckinghamshire play Wiltshire in 2005.
The house on the Wilton Park Estate, which was known as the “White House”, was designed by Richard Jupp for Josias Du Pre, Governor of Madras, and completed in 1779. In 1939 the house was taken over by the War Office and used as an interrogation centre for Nazi prisoners of war: German refugees working for the allies would listen into prisoners’ conversations. After the War the house was used by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to re-educate prisoners of war into the British way of life: between January 1946 and June 1948 approx 4,500 Germans were made to attend re-education classes there. The house went on to become the home of the Army School of Administration from 1949 and also the home of the Army School of Education from 1950. The Foreign Office “re-education” facility, still known as Wilton Park and still organising conferences, moved out in 1951 and is now based at Wiston House in West Sussex.