Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Southwark
Number of texts: 1
The King’s Bench Prison was a prison in Southwark, south London, England, from medieval times until it closed in 1880. It took its name from the King’s Bench court of law in which cases of defamation, bankruptcy and other misdemeanours were heard; as such, the prison was often used as a debtor’s prison until the practice was abolished in the 1860s. In 1842, it was renamed the Queen’s Prison, and later became the Southwark Convict Prison.