Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Westminster
Number of texts: 1
The Queen’s Hall was a concert hall in Langham Place, London, opened in 1893. Designed by the architect T.E. Knightley, it had room for an audience of about 2,500 people. It became London’s principal concert venue. From 1895 until 1941, it was the home of the promenade concerts (“The Proms”) founded by Robert Newman together with Henry Wood. The hall had drab decor and cramped seating but superb acoustics. It became known as the “musical centre of the [British] Empire”, and the leading musicians of the late 19th and early 20th century performed there, including Claude Debussy, Edward Elgar, Maurice Ravel and Richard Strauss.