Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Birmingham
Number of texts: 1
The Birmingham Union workhouse was a workhouse on Western Road in Birmingham, England. It was built between 1850 and 1852 under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, to designs by John Jones Bateman and G Drury. The main entrance building, though derelict, is still extant. Its arched entrance was known as “the arch of tears”. The remainder of the workhouse was demolished in the early 1990s.