Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, East Lindsey
Number of texts: 1
The monastery was founded in 1139 by Hugh Brito, (or Hugh son of Eudo), lord of Tattershall, and was originally colonised by an abbot and twelve monks from Fountains Abbey in Yorkshire. The original site was not large enough however, and Robert, son of Hugh, found a better site a short distance away in 1187. The 1187 date is probably completion of the Abbey, as the architecture dates it to around 1175. The monks were granted the lordship of Wildmore by the lords of Bolingbroke, Scrivelsby and Horncastle, although they did retain the right of common pasture for themselves and their tenants.