The Centralbad for the last 120 years is generally regarded as the oldest and most distinguished bathing-establishment in Vienna. The unusually deep well of the building itself was already in use in Roman times for the small fortification at a bridge . This building structure, later known as Weihenpurgkh, formed part of a separate fortified small suburb outside Vienna until 1156. In the Middle Ages and until 1880 this area was the centre for textiles , the first document mentioning a padstubn in this house dates back to 1369.
Between 1887-1889, the house was built by the famous Viennese architects Anton Honus, Anton Lang , Albert Constantin Swoboda and the brothers Edmund and Franz Czada and the interior received in 1894 its present look.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
© 2006-2019 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com