Castle of Opdorp and local history museum Ter Palen.
The castle can also be seen in the Flemish television series "Stille Waters" (2001). In this series, the castle is a psychiatric institution in "Rooiendijk". Filming took place in the gardens, the entrance hall and stairwell. This location is 4 km from the Scheldt and "Ter Haven" (Mariekerke and Sint-Amands).
The first known occupant was Jan van Marselaer ca. 1572. Via Rutgeer van Marselaer, the castle ended up in the hands of his godson and heir Philippe van de Werve in the second half of the seventeenth century.
The castle of yesteryear looks completely different than it does now. The entrance to the castle was also in a different place than now. Thanks to Antonius Sanderus (1586-1664) and his "Flandria Illustrata" from 1641-1644
Around 1734 Maximilian Carolus Puteanus de Barnelrode bought the castle and until 1798 it remained in the hands of his family. Through Maximilianus Franciscus Niesse and the Limnander family we ended up with the de Nieulant et de Pottelberghe family in 1824. The castle at Opdorp came into the possession of Viscount Desiré Hubert Joannes de Nieulant et de Pottelberghe. This family became related to the d'Udekem d'Acoz family by marriage in 1890
During all the years that the castle has been there, it has few permanent residents. For the rich lords, the castle and its domain are mainly a country residence where they stay sporadically. In the "land book" of Opdorp from 1694 we find a second image of the castle as it looks before 1850. It is located on the corner of Damstraat and Vekenstraat.
Around 1850 the old castle disappeared. Viscount de Nieulant et de Pottelsberghe had a new castle built and came to live there with his family. It was not until 1923 that the family of Baron Paul d'Udekem d'Acoz and Madeleine de Nieulant et de Pottelsberghe disappeared from Opdorp.
In 1924 the castle lost its gabled roof after a fire to continue to exist with "flat roof" to this day. This was followed by E.H. Maurice "Abbé" Poulet, Frederik "Fritz" Segers, Mrs. Emma Maria van Wickeren and René François Joseph Philomene van Roy as owners.
In 1948, the Congregation of the Priests of the Sacred Heart was established. She turns the castle and domain into "the Boys' Home". In 1978 the "Boys' Home Prince Albert" was transformed into "vzw M. P. I. Capelderij".
In July 1985, the local community of Buggenhout, "Ter Palen", found shelter here. They developed a local history museum, in a 250 m2 exhibition spread over 5 rooms. This is about the evolution of Buggenhout and the daily life of our ancestors in utensils, tools, photos, reconstructions and models. Admission is free. The museum is also open every last Sunday from March to October from 2pm to 5pm. Definitely recommended !
Source: Gemeente Opdorp
| | Public | Italien • allemand • danois • espagnol • français • néerlandais
Adresse: Vekenstraat 1, 9255 Opdorp, Belgique
Statistiques
Sélectionnez l'une des activités les plus populaires ci-dessous ou affinez votre recherche
Découvrez les plus beaux et les plus populaires itinéraires du secteur, soigneusement regroupés dans des sélections appropriées.
Sélectionnez l'une des catégories les plus populaires ci-dessous ou inspirez-vous de nos sélections
Découvrez les plus beaux et les plus populaires points d'intérêt du secteur, soigneusement regroupés dans des sélections appropriées.
Avec RouteYou, vous pouvez facilement créer vos propres cartes personnalisées. Tracez votre itinéraire, ajoutez des points de passage ou des points-nœuds, planifiez des points d'intérêt et des lieux de restauration, et partagez le tout avec votre famille et vos amis.
Planificateur d'itinéraire

<iframe src="https://plugin.routeyou.com/poiviewer/free/?language=fr&params.poi.id=971898&params.language=en" width="100%" height="600" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
© 2006-2026 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com