The church of Notre Dame, in the small town of Newport at the mouth of the Yser, is in the covered market style and was badly damaged during both world wars. In 1948 it was soberly rebuilt along the original plans of 15th century Gothic. In 1952 a separate high tower was added with a carillon of 67 bells with an exceptional quality of tone that can be heard during summer concerts.
Inside there are 15th and 16th century stone tombs as well as some works of art that were saved in 1914. One of these works is a historical painting depicting the battle of Newport. The stained glass windows relate the history of the town. On the altar, dedicated to the Virgin, there is a fisherman’s longboat, the symbol of Newport.In 1961 a huge organ was installed.
For the lovers of fine architecture, the covered market and the town hall are superb Flemish renaissance buildings well worth the visit.
Copyright: All rights reserved