Built between 1621 and 1645 for the Jesuits of Namur by the architect who built the church of St Charles Borromeus in Antwerp, the church was originally dedicated to St Ignatius. It is distinguished by the ceilings of its nave and aisles, in carved freestone, whose pale colour contrasts with the black and red marble of the banded columns and with the beautifully carved oak confessionals. On the outside, the façade, rebuilt to the original design in 1865-1867, is given a majesty all its own by the large pilasters and fluted columns, the scrollwork on the second storey, and the upper level with the Chi-Rho symbol (representing Christ’s name) in relief.
Building listed by RD (15-01-1936)
Listed as an exceptional heritage site of Wallonia
Copyright: All rights reserved