Vaughan Road is a road in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is a contour collector road that is parallel to a buried creek to the north called Castle Frank Brook. Vaughan Road begins on Bathurst Street south of St. Clair Avenue West, then it becomes a north-south street, hence its address numbering system, then it becomes a northwest-southeast street. Finally, Vaughan Road ends in a dead-end near the intersection of Eglinton Avenue and Dufferin Street. Vaughan Road Academy is named after this road.
Vaughan Road was built as early as 1850. Before then, it was a trail used by the First Nations. Its original alignment began at Yonge Street, followed Davenport Road to Bathurst Street, then along the current alignment of Vaughan Road into Dufferin Street; in fact, there is still a curve in Dufferin Street at the intersection with Eglinton Avenue, where Vaughan Road connected. By the 1960s, Vaughan Road was closed before it could connect with Eglinton; an Esso gas station and parkette later occupied the former right of way and intersection, but demolished in the mid-2010s to accommodate Fairbank station of Line 5 Eglinton, scheduled to open in 2021. Vaughan Road was then extended north along what is now Dufferin Street into Vaughan Township, which later became the City of Vaughan. Therefore, Vaughan Road is named after the township, which itself is named after Benjamin Vaughan, a British commissioner who signed a peace treaty with the United States in 1783. This road was popular with street racers in the 1950s due to its many curves from being parallel to a creek. Since 2000, Vaughan Road had undergone the early stages of gentrification, especially at the corner of Oakwood and Vaughan, as well as the former City of Toronto stretch of Vaughan Road.
Copyright: CC 3.0