Warnemünde Church is a neogothic building in Warnemünde, which is a part of the hanseatic city of Rostock. Construction of the current brick building began in 1866 and the church was consecrated in 1871. The church of Warnemünde stands for over one hundred years in the middle of the town and is the center of the Evangelical Lutheran congregation. For the community along with many guests it is a place of rest and prayer. But it has also even given protection from flooding. The maritime atmosphere is shown by the special votive ships inside.
The old church, which burned down twice, stood on the Warnow riverside for around 600 years and was demolished, after completion of the new church, in 1872. The construction of the new church began in 1866 on the western side of the old fisherman's village, and it was ready in 1871 the church. The new building, designed by architect, Krueger of Schwerin, and built by master builder Wachenhusen of Rostock, was erected on the western outskirts of the settlement, but nowadays is the centre of the town. The church therefore is in fact relatively young, but decorated with major furnishings that were inherited from the earlier building. Originally three narrow lancet windows were planned for the transept facades. But the principal, Frederick Francis II, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg, patron of Warnemünde Church insisted that a single large window would be much more appropriate; the architects designed the rose windows, which can still be seen today.
Copyright: CC 3.0