Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Braunschweig
Number of texts: 2
The Brunswick Cathedral (German: Dom St. Blasii (et Johannis), lit. in English: Collegiate Church of Ss. Blaise and John the Baptist) is a large Lutheran church in the City of Braunschweig (Brunswick), Germany. Henry the Lion founded it as a collegiate church and it was built between 1173 and 1195. The church is termed Dom, in German a synecdoche - pars pro toto - used for cathedrals and collegiate churches alike, and much like the Italian Duomo, is imperfectly translated here by the English cathedral. After the Reformation the college has been dissolved and the church is currently owned and used by a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran State Church of Brunswick.
The Brunswick Lion (German: Braunschweiger Löwe) is a monument and probably the best-known landmark in the city of Brunswick (German: Braunschweig). It stands on the Burgplatz square in front of Dankwarderode Castle and Brunswick Cathedral. Within Brunswick it is thus commonly known as the “castle lion” (Burglöwe).