The Tauber Bridge at Rothenburg ob der Tauber is an historic road bridge that spans the Tauber Valley west of the town centre of the Middle Franconian town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber in Bavaria. The structure carries a local link road to Leuzenbronn and the Tauber Valley Way and has a 4.0 metre wide roadway and a 1.0 metre wide footpath.
The double bridge with its two rows of arches, one on top of the other, was probably built around 1330. It lies at the foot of the southwestern valley side below Rothenburg ob der Tauber and was part of a trade route from Augsburg to Würzburg. In terms of building activity, it is known that it was renovated in 1791, after the four upper arches had collapsed the year before. In 1925 the eastern approach to the bridge was widened and, twenty years later, the structure was blown up by German troops. Rebuilding took a good year and it was reopened on 10 November 1956.
Copyright: CC 3.0