Lippendorf which is located in the municipality of Neukieritzsch, near Leipzig in Saxony, Germany. The present town Lippendorf was formerly known as the village of Medewitzsch. In 1934 combined towns of Medewitzsch Lippendorf and Spahnsdorf of Medewitzsch made the new town of Lippendorf. North of town is Böhlen and Zwenkau, east of town is Rotha, south of town is Neukieritzsch and west of town is Russen-Kleinstorkwitz The first citation of Lippendorf village was in 1378. The character of the place was rural for a long time. Only from the 1920s did the then village develop into an industrial area, mainly due to the lignite, also called brown coal, formed from naturally compressed peat, found in the area. The first lignite mine in the area was opened in 1924. Böhlen mining started near the north west of the town. The first power plant was built in 1925. During WW2 bomb attacks on the power plant in 1944 and 1945 destroyed parts of the village. Mid-1960s Spahnsdorf village and parts of Lippendorf had a second power plant construction. The current town was incorporation in January 1, 1973. In 1997 a new lignite Lippendorf Power Station was built and the old power plant was shut down.
Copyright: CC 3.0