Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Rosenheim
Number of texts: 1
Vagen is a large village in the district of Rosenheim, in Bavaria, Germany. It is 2 km west of Bruckmühl. Vagen is administratively in Feldkirchen-Westerham municipality.
In 1999 archaeological excavations revealed that Vagen was settled by at least the 5th century. The village derives its name from the Bavarian noble family of Fagana. In the High Middle Ages, it fell within the domains of the Falkensteiners. In the 12th century, Count Siboto II. von Weyarn, built a castle here overlooking the Mangfall River to the east. He called it Neuburg and it was completed by 1133. In the 14th and 15th centuries the castle fell into ruins. Locals used the stone for buildings and dug into the moraine for gravel. The last remaining stones were used to build the church in 1683, so no physical evidence remains of the castle.