Roringen is a village in the borough of Göttingen, Germany. High on a hill, it is separated from the city proper some 5 1⁄2 km to the south-west by farmlands and part of the Göttingen Forest.
Roringen is first mentioned in 1162, in a church document. In 1380, Roringen was sold to the City of Göttingen. During the often turbulent Late Middle Ages and the sixteenth century, the village suffered the depredations of war, being largely destroyed on three occasions . In 1582, the village was designated a Ratsdorf, and a militia and police body were established. In 1973, Roringen's political independence ended, and it became a borough of Göttingen.
Copyright: CC 3.0