The present theatre house was constructed in the late 19th century, as a replacement for the old theatre, nicknamed "Svedekassen" . Since Aarhus had grown to become Jutland's biggest city during the 19th century, the old theatre had become too small to serve the public demand. A new building was designed by the Danish architect Hack Kampmann , and the construction began on 12 August 1898. Only two years later, Aarhus Theatre stood completed and was inaugurated on 15 September 1900.
The architectural style of the building is Art Nouveau, with the national romantic emphasis on natural materials, and the interior design was completed by artists Hansen Reistrup and Hans Tegner.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
Central Jutland, Denmark
© 2006-2019 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com