Morwellham Quay is a historic river port in Devon, developed to support the local mines. The port had its peak in the Victorian era and is now run as a tourist attraction. It is the terminus of the Tavistock Canal, and has its own copper mine.
Morwellham Quay was originally set up by the Cistercian monks of Tavistock Abbey, which was founded in 961, to carry goods to and from Plymouth on the River Tamar, since the River Tavy was unnavigable. By the 12th century, tin ore was being transported through the quay, followed by lead and silver ores in the 13th century. Later, copper deposits were also discovered at the Quay itself and the George and Charlotte Mine opened in the 18th century. In addition, by 1800, manganese deposits were being extracted from the northern and western edges of Dartmoor and being brought to Morwellham.
In July 2006, UNESCO (the cultural arm of the United Nations) awarded World Heritage Site status to Cornwall and West Devon''s mining landscape. The Industrial Heritage museum is an Anchor Point of ERIH, The European Route of Industrial Heritage.