Kelvingrove Park is a public park located on the River Kelvin in the West End of the city of Glasgow, Scotland, containing the famous Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.
Kelvingrove was originally created as the West End Park in 1852 by noted English gardener Sir Joseph Paxton, Head Gardener at Chatsworth House, whose other works included The Crystal Palace in London. The Town Council had purchased the land, which formerly represented the Kelvingrove and Woodlands estates, that year for the sum of £99,569, around £8 million today. The park was intended to provide for the continued expansion of the city to the west, providing relaxation and recreation opportunities for the new middle class to the west, and an escape from the rapid slumming of the city centre for those left behind.
Copyright: CC 3.0