Sturgeons House is a Grade II listed country estate located west of the small village of Writtle in Essex, England. At its height, the estate comprised around 500 acres . However, it currently holds only around 6 acres of ground. The house is currently under renovation, including an extension to the rear of the property. The house, along with the surrounding barns, is an example of an early model farm.
There has been human settlement at the site since 1280, when William Turgis established a farm there. The name 'Sturgeons' derived from the Turgis family-name. The location was chosen upon the discovery of a natural spring in the area.
Copyright: CC 3.0