Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Dover
Number of texts: 2
South Foreland Lighthouse is a Victorian lighthouse on the South Foreland in St. Margaret’s Bay, Dover, Kent, England, used to warn ships approaching the nearby Goodwin Sands. It went out of service in 1988 and is currently owned by the National Trust. A lighthouse had previously stood on the site since at least 1730 and during most of this time it was manned by the Knott family (lighthouse keepers).
South Foreland is a chalk headland on the Kent coast of southeast England. It presents a bold cliff to the sea, and commands views over the Strait of Dover. It is 3 miles (4.8 km) northeast of Dover and 15 miles south of North Foreland. It is the closest point on the British mainland to the European continent at a distance of only 20.6 miles (33.2 km).