Chapel Island is a limestone outcrop that lies in the Leven estuary of Morecambe Bay in England, less than one mile from the shoreline at Bardsea in the area known as Ulverston Sands. It is located at 54.1741°N 3.0416°W / 54.1741; -3.0416 . It is one of the Islands of Furness in the county of Cumbria, in the area of the historic county of Lancashire . The island is approximately 450 yards long and just over 100 yards at its widest. Its area is about 7.5 acres .
Chapel Island, known as Harlesyde Isle in 1593, got its present name in 1795. The name was coined by Mrs. Radcliffe in her book ‘Tour of the Lakes’.
Copyright: CC 3.0