Ashintully Castle, located near Kirkmichael, north of Blairgowrie, in the county of Perthshire Scotland, was built in 1583 as a fortified tower house by the Spalding family; the Feudal Barons of Ashintully. The Spalding Barons were chiefs of the Spalding Clan and followers of the Duke of Atholl, the Chief of the Murray Clan. The Spaldings of Ashintully and their cadet branches were Jacobites, or followers of the House of Stuart. The castle is reached from the B950 road to the Northeast of Kirkmichael. The name Ashintully is an anglicized spelling of the Gaelic Eas an Tulaich and means "cascade of the hillock".
Copyright: CC 3.0
Perth and Kinross