Author: Wikipedia |
| | Public
Galway is a barony in Ireland, comprising Galway city and surrounding parts of County Galway. The barony is coterminous with the former County of the Town of Galway, a county corporate created by the town's 1610 charter and abolished by the Local Government Act 1898.
The town's 1610 charter erected the town into a corporate county separate from Galway county-at-large, and defined the extent of the county of the town as encompassing the municipal borough of Galway and its "liberties" for two miles around, excluding St Francis Abbey and St Augustine's Fort . In 1687 the limit was doubled to four miles. About 1770 the county bounds were further extended, and in 1871 the census gave its area as 22,483 acres . The 1846 Parliamentary Gazetteer describes its bounds as roughly a semicircle with a radius of 4 miles centred on Galway town, with Galway Bay to the south, from Forramoyle in the west, through Lough Inch to the southern shore of Lough Corrib in the north, then southeast to the north of Killeen, and down to the bay 11⁄2 miles east of Merlin Park.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
More about this place of interest
<iframe src="https://plugin.routeyou.com/poiviewer/free/?language=en&params.poi.id=3139401" width="100%" height="600" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>