The church dates to 1133. The present church was rebuilt in 1693-1714 at the commission of Pietro Barbarigo, and reconsecrated in 1721. It contains works by Antonio Vassilacchi (L'Aliense) (Resurrection), Domenico Cresti (il Passignano); Tintoretto, and Giulia Lama. The second altarpiece on the right is the Apotheosis of Saint Martial with Saints Peter and Paul. The Scuola del Santissimo Sacramento commissioned the altar (1691-1704) in the chancel attributed to Tommaso Rues. He also sculpted the elaborate marble main altar, depicting Christ Ruler of World with Saints and Angels is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin of the Graces. The icon is a copy of the original image supposedly sculpted in Rimini in 1286 by a shepherd named Rustico and miraculously brought to Venice.
Copyright: CC 3.0