The City Hall of Heerlen was built to a design of Frits Peutz, and it is a state monument.
It was built between 1936 and 1942, and after Huis op de Linde (1931), the Retreat (1932) and the Glaspaleis (1933) it was Heerlen based architect Frits Peutz fourth building within the city limits of Heerlen. Later he would build the Royal Theatre (1937), the St.Anna Church (1953), the V&D building (1958) and the Theater Heerlen (1959) within Heerlen as well.
Behind the current City Hall, at the Geleenstraat, the old city hall building was located. It remained in use until 1941, because World War II delayed the construction works on the new building.
The City Hall has a distinct flat roof and a large broad stairway leading to the first floor, on which the council chamber is located. Peutz' interest in ancient Rome probably was the reason for the public stand's resemblence to an Amfitheatre.