Ayutthaya Historical Research

Ayutthaya Historical Research

HomeRoutesPlaces of interest

Wat Racha Burana

Ruin

TH |

Public

Wat Racha Burana was established in 1424 by King Borommaracha II after two of his brothers died in battle on elephants while fighting to claim the throne. The two brothers were cremated at the site of the two chedi, and Wat Racha Burana was constructed the same year as a memorial. In 1957, organized looters dug into the crypt and stole many precious items, so a local branch of the Fine Arts Department was created to protect local ruins while preserving the nation's cultural treasures. In 1958, the Fine Arts Department built a staircase leading down to the main crypt. The following year they established the Chao Sam Phraya National Museum to display ancient relics found at Wat Racha Burana and Wat Maha That. There are some very old Chinese-influenced murals located at the very bottom dating back to 1424. This is worth having a look as it is the only Khmer-style prang in the city allowing access to its crypt. (*)($)

More information

More about this place of interest

Comments

Routes nearby

Related channels

© 2006-2019 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com