Mount Saint Joseph Academy, commonly called The Mount, in Flourtown, Pennsylvania is a Philadelphia-area all-female, catholic, college preparatory school. It was founded in 1858 by the Sisters of Saint Joseph. The academy was originally located in Philadelphia on the grounds of what is now Chestnut Hill College. Originally a boarding school, the academy began accepting day students in 1911. In 1928, this all girls high school was the first Catholic school to be approved by the Middle States Association accrediting agency. In response to the growth of the school and evolving educational needs, the Mount moved in 1961 to its present site, just outside the community of Chestnut Hill near Philadelphia. Since relocation to the new campus, the school has grown significantly.
Copyright: CC 3.0