The Wiener Neustädter Lokomotivfabrik was the largest locomotive and engineering factory in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. During World War II the company produced armaments as part of Rax-Werk Ges.mbH which was associated with the Mauthausen concentration camp.
In 1841 the Wiener Neustadt-Vienna railway line was open, and in 1842 the private railway Austrian Eastern Railway was opened, by 1854 the Semmering railway was complete. Thus around that time a favourable situation existed for the creation of a locomotive production facility in Austria.
Copyright: CC 3.0
Wiener Neustadt (Stadt)