The castle of Walzin
High on a broad rocky promontory above a meander of the river Lesse, the Château de Walzin has always captured the imagination.
It was admired by Victor Hugo, who made a drawing of it in 1863.
Although construction began in the 13th century, little of the mediaeval buildings remains except for the 15th-century horseshoe tower which still has four cannon ports.
The rest of the building was considerably altered, especially between 1930 and 1932. The option chosen was to adopt a traditional style of architecture and aim for stylistic coherence.
However, it is the chateau’s natural setting, more than its architecture, which is truly exceptional.
Site classé (19-07-1997)
Repris sur la liste du P. E. de Wallonie
Copyright: All rights reserved
rue de Walzin, 5500 Walzin
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com