This modern church, dating from 1970, has born the official name ‘Sint-Anna-ten-Drieën’ (Saint Anne of the Trinity) since 2006, due to the presence of a 1667 statue representing the Virgin, her mother Anne and Jesus. The statue refers to the Saint Anne chapel which was a place for pilgrimages since 1330.
The people of Antwerp call this place ‘Sint-Anneke’ (roughly Saint Annie), familiarly but not without pride and affection, and its surroundings along the River Scheldt are ‘Sint-Anneke-Plage’ (Saint Annie’s beach).
When drawing up the plans for this modern church, the architect, Jos Ritzen, was also thinking of a multi-purpose location. That is why the interior space has the shape of a scallop shell without any element disturbing the view of the whole. And since the altar can be moved and the floor is slightly inclined, the church is an ideal spot for giving concerts.
One should also notice the stained glass windows, which are the work of Gabriël Loire. The artist, living in Chartres at the time, was inspired by the magnificent stained glass windows of the cathedral.
For those out for a stroll, there is a nice walk to be taken along the Scheldt. And for those who are hungry, nice little café-restaurants at the Sint-Anneke-Plage invite you to come in and eat mussels and chips or a tasty crepe.
Copyright: All rights reserved