Church of Notre-Dame de la Sarte
The history of the site dates back to the 16th century or the end of the previous century. All that can be said is that at the time, there was a chapel that housed a statue of the Virgin with Child. The chapel was practically in ruins in 1621 when a series of miracles occurred. Popular fervour very quickly prompted the construction of a larger building decorated by artists of repute, complete with graveyard and dwelling for the chaplain. The chapel was encompassed in the building prior to the construction in 1854 of the neo-Baroque porch with stairs based on the plans of the architects Vierset-Godin. Dominicans occupied the site from 1860 to 1973, creating a monastery there.
Built between 1624 and 1628 from brick and limestone on a bonded base, the church consists of a single nave ending in a three-sided chancel. The building's horizontality is emphasised by three bands, while high windows with Roman arches punctuate the walls and and there are three oculus windows above the 19th century porch. Two small doors, now walled up, were inserted into the side to allow pilgrims to process. A pinnacle with an octagonal spire dominates the western part of the nave. The original chancel was doubled in sized in 1931-32 with a chancel to be used by Dominicans. This second chancel extends the older sections to include two polygonal chapels, a transept that projects little and the chancel itself. The current decoration was redone at the end of the 19th century in the neo-Gothic style, but the building has retained its original furnishings to a large extent.
Building listed on 1st August 1933
Copyright: All rights reserved