Neo-Gothic brick church of which the tower has been reversed.
Flower village Waanrode has a Neo-Gothic church dating back to 1902. After lightning struck in 1877, severely damaging the tower, the roof and the organ, the church was renovated and enlarged. The choir, the sacristy, the burial chapel and part of an aisle remain of the preexisting 16th century Gothic church.
In front of the church stands the statue of the Torendraaier. In 1902 the western tower was broken down and rebuilt on the southwestern side. Henceforth the residents of Waanrode would be called ‘Torendraaiers’, which means as much as ‘Tower Turners’.
Copyright: All rights reserved